Friday, April 3, 2009

God's protection in my life

Wow- so this week God has really protected me. On Wednesday I was in my FS truck driving to a meadow site. I had to turn around on the way to this meadow because I hit a snow drift that went on for quite awhile. I didn't want to get stuck in the snow so I headed down the road and decided to take an alternate route. This new road was a narrower less traveled road and I wasn't sure if it would actually take me all the way through. The map said it would but I had my doubts. I was just about ready to turn around again when my front right wheel hit a soft shoulder and the truck lurched sideways and down. I didn't see the softness due to a shadow on the road and it being covered in pine needles. On the right side of the road was a creek ditch. I decided to try to back out of this slowly and prayed quickly that He would let this come out OK. When I started backing out, the truck just started going over the side. I didn't really realize what had happened until I found myself upside down. I kind of panicked, got my stuff, rolled down the window, and then scrambled out the truck as soon as I could. I tried calling the district on my radio (which was inside the truck) but couldn't get anyone. I ended up walking down the road 1.5 miles to a cabin I had passed. Thankfully a guy lived there and had a landline where I could call for help.
I was pretty shaken up and worried that I could be fired. The awesome thing was though, that I was able to get out of the truck without a scratch and then walked ONLY 1.5 miles for help. God is good. The truck was hauled out of the creek later that day by a tow truck..no normal tow trucks would go up this road but we are in Scott Valley so they must be kind of used to it. The truck's windows were intact, I dented the hood and grill, and one of the panels of the bed was dented. Pretty minimal damage for being upside down. My supervisor has already started to make fun of me for the accident..this is a good sign.

On another note, today is Brett's Birthday. He is 35! He is also very glad that he still has a bride-to-be. Tomorrow we are having about 12 people over for his birthday. We will be playing a game of ultimate Frisbee and then making dinner.

No comments: