Now, being the good godly woman I am..and getting ready to marry a youth pastor- two weekends ago I went with Brett and the youth to Seattle for a conference. (Sorry I didn't call you Chris, it was to hectic of a weekend!) We went to Dare 2 Share which is focused on evangelism training for youth. I thought wow- this is going to be good for our youth and it didn't turn out quite like I thought it was going to go.
On Friday morning at 6:30am we left Fort Jones and drove 9 hours up to Seattle. That night there was a session that encouraged kids to text in a friends name that they will be praying for and seeking opportunities to share Christ with. Now this hit me in a huge way. Not that I had a specific friend I was praying for, but the realization that I didn't have any friends that I wanted to pray for and share Christ with! All my (close) friends and family are Christians. I realized that I have not even cared about people enough to befriend non-christians. What kind of selfish person have I been? Sure I have a shy streak with people I don't know very well but that is no excuse for not having compassion for the unsaved. Plus, there are so many people in Scott Valley that need Jesus. I have plenty of opportunity, especially working for the Forest Service! God commands us to love each other and by this we can share Christ better than any other way. When we love others, we are also loving our Father.
I was certainly challenged that weekend, maybe more than the youth that went. I also got to experience the "chaperoning" part of adulthood. I found one of our guys with one of our girls alone in the wee early hours of the morning, which is a no-no. They were just talking (I think) but they sure went to bed quickly when I ran into them and said "you guys need to be in bed". It was kind of funny to think that I am on the "other" side of things now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
doesn't this make you miss yelling, "open house is over in 15 minutes!" up and down the hallways? :)
I'll forgive you this once for coming to Seattle and not stopping by an seeing me. But next time... will hopefully be sooner rather than later.
Post a Comment