Side note: I have finally been able to change my Blog background to something more fun, it has only taken several years. I have tried changing it a couple times but I had issues and it never worked. You would think that someone who grew up with computers would be a bit more savvy with technology.
Anyway, about two weeks ago I made fresh tomato soup with the someone's garden tomatoes from church. I turned out AWESOME if I do say so myself (Brett thought so as well). This was the first time I made tomato soup from scratch and it tasted just like the fancy stuff we got at our Bed and Breakfast (for dinner) a month ago. I also learned while making it that you cannot fill the blender up more than half way. You know when you see a humorous scene in a movie where the character whips up something in the blender and ends up with half of it on the counter or all over themselves? Well that apparently doesn't just happen in the movies! I held the top on but it was so liquidy that I got hot tomato soup all over my shirt and the kitchen!
This is what the end product looked like and it was very tasty. Here is the recipe if anyone is interested.
2 T butter
2 T olive oil or vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 clove garlic, crushed
2 cups chopped tomato (fresh or canned, if fresh peel)
1 t basil
salt and pepper to taste
2.5 cups chicken broth
4 dashes hot sauce
Parmesean cheese
Fresh chopped parsely or basil
Heat butter and oil in saucepan. Saute the onions and garlic for 5 min, stirring. Add the tomato, basil, salt, and pepper and simmer for 8 minutes. Pour in the broth and bring to a boil; then reduce heat and simmer for 10 min. Add the hot sauce. Puree the mixture in blender or force through a food mill. Strain it and heat it in a clean saucepan. Taste for seasoning. Garnish with Parmesean cheese, parsley, or basil.
1 comment:
Love the background! And we make tomato soup from scratch every time we make it so I'm definitely gonna try this recipe next time!! Love you!
Post a Comment